In order to provide the highest level of safety for our participants, Georgia Enriches Minds, Inc. (aka Destination Imagination Georgia) requires all Team Managers to undergo a background check. Based on current best practices for organizations that work with children, we will now require all Team Managers to pass a background check to be eligible to register, lead a team or participate in our Regional, Showcase, Affiliate or Global Finals tournaments. These checks must be done each year.
Team Managers must complete their background check by one of the four methods. Please choose the method that most accurately fits the Team Manager’s situation.
- Team Managers may use Verified Volunteers for their background check under Georgia Enriches Minds negotiated rates of $16 for Advanced Level Check. Team Managers will pay for the cost of this Advanced Level check, which must be performed every year. Instructions to submit your Background request are here:
- Go to the website: https://app.verifiedvolunteers.com
- Log in/Register through the volunteer portal.
- Select “GET VERIFIED” and enter Good Deed code: ecqjoax
- Fill out the 4 steps, enter the necessary credit card information (if applicable) and click COMPLETE.
- Team Managers who are Georgia public school employees may be certified as background-checked by one of our Regional or Affiliate Directors. This will be done by verifying a school system email address or via a school’s website. Please send the request for using this method to: Dave Lohrmann, email@example.com
- Team Managers who are private school employees may submit a letter from their school principal or assistant principal indicating that the Team Manager has passed a background check that has been updated during the school calendar year of the start of the current DI season. Please send the request for using this method to: Dave Lohrmann, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some school systems have background check requirements for their volunteers. Team Managers from those systems may submit a letter from their school principal or administrator stating that they have passed a background check that has been completed or updated during the school calendar year of the start of the current DI season. The background check must include a Social Security trace, Government Watch List Search, 50 State DOJ Sex Offender Registry Search and local criminal history search. Georgia Enriches Minds provides a template (here) for your school system to ensure we receive the required wording. The Georgia Regional or Affiliate Directors will confirm whether school systems in their Region have qualifying volunteer background check systems in place.
All personal information provided stays with Verified Volunteers and is not shared with Georgia Enriches Minds, Inc. If a Team Manager is not cleared to work with students, the Team Manager will be notified that their team cannot participate in the Regional Showcase, Affiliate/State Tournament or Global Finals competition until a new Team Manager with a passing background check is provided.
Background checks may only be conducted on individuals 18 years or older. Therefore, no one under the age of 18 may be a registered Team Manager.
The following convictions will cause a Team Manager to fail a background check:
- Felony child abuse
- Violent crimes
- Any felony offenses involving unlawful sexual offenses
- Any felony offenses involving domestic violence
- Any offense that raises concern about the safety of the children
As a volunteer, your privacy rights include:
1. Notice and consent prior to the background check.
2. Notice of negative information before an adverse action is taken
3. A right to receive a copy of the report
4. A right to appeal an adverse decision
5. Proper disposal of information included in a report.